Back Ground of Ilkiding'a Cultural Tourism Programme(CTP)
 

Ilkiding’a is one of six villages of Ilkiding’a ward in Arusha district council of Arumeru district in Arusha region. Ilkiding’a is a Maasai word which means congested. (It can be a group of people houses, cars or trees).

It was initiated two hundred years ago by our elders, because of moving from one place to another and living communal life. Ilkiding’a area was a forest and full of wild animals so the Maasai leader those days called masarie advised his people to live together for the aim of protecting themselves from wild animals.

This act of living together resulted to other Maasai people calling this group “Iltung’ana looiding’a” which means over crowded/congested. Finally it was common for the area to be called Ilkiding’a.



Introduction

Ilkiding’a is a village only 7 kms north of Arusha town. With its neighborhood Ilboru, it has played a role in the history of Arusha. Chiefdom ship was strong before colonization. The Lutheran missionaries from Germany and Sabaya, chief of the Wa-arusha, agreed in 1904 to build the first church and school in Ilboru.

From that time on co-operation between the church and the chiefs was settled. Youngsters were invited to study at the boarding school. In 1907 the first young men were baptized. Esizo bene Kokan became Simeon, Lenjivai Kivuyo became Johannes….. in those days girls were assigned a man to marry, if they refused they were beaten. They run away from home and the missionaries received them in their schools for further studies and new way of life. In 1910 girls started to be baptized.

Communication between chiefs and the British ruler took place by letters. But in those days very few people attended schools. The baptized youngsters became secretaries to the chiefs. And letter on Simeon Kokan was chosen by the Wa-arusha to become a chief.

Under his leadership churches, schools roads and the Court House were built. The main road leading to the Arusha International Conference Centre (AICC) was named his name for memorial before been changed by East African leaders and calls it the East Africa Road.

The last chief Stefania had to retire when the newly independent government, abolished chiefdom, with the Uhuru (freedom) declaration.